Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A song we sing

AMAZING GRACE, HOW SWEET THE SOUND (sing)
Of the cries from the main land to the sea shore
Sounds of screams curses to a higher being,
That they don't wanna live anymore.
THAT SAVED A WRETCH LIKE ME .(sing)
Me who had, an identity
Me who had my own name, I had a family
I WAS ONCE LOST(sing)
Lost in the arms of my tribes who embraced me
Tribe IBO, tribe DINKA, tribe YUROBA, tribe ASANTE.
NOW I'M FOUND(sing)
Found? Found sounds more like stolen raped and abused
With a rap sheet so long, it'll make you dizzy, make you confused
WAS BLIND (sing)
Blind to millions upon millions dying by mass genocide and hunger
Blind to the disgusting reality that we got people over here throwing away
So much food, just to preserve their perfect figure.
BUT NOW I SEE.(sing)
See years upon years
From the River Nile to the Mississippi
Where we cry river of tears
Tears that explain what lies ahead
When you look at the once advanced Mother Africa
Over150 million HIV infected, soon to be dead.
And if you had not heard it before, I'm telling you now
The man who wrote this song
Whatever innocent Christ-like ideals you had of him
I'm here to say you are wrong.
I'm here only to speak the truth
Because when this man was writing this beautiful song,
This ship slave owner, was busy trying dehumanize our Roots.
If you think I'm lying, we'll just have wait and ask the Lord.
We'll wait and ask him how much of my ancestors did he force aboard.

Simply this is food for thought
stay in tune for part 2

AT LEAST SO I THOUGHT
Because here we are, buying into hook line and sinker
About these fairy tale illusions that we as a people are moving up.
Moving Up, Moving Out, God Damn it, do you here your selves
WE'VE BEEN BOUGHT
And bought cheaper than what was paid for initially.
So complex is the message being delivered
I'm reaching out to you subliminally, metaphorically and directly,
Directly into your heart, into your head
So when you go to sleep at night
You'll be thinking of AMAZING GRACE instead.

No comments: